GO TO RECIPE-PRINT RECIPE
This red wine marinated prime rib with potatoes is a unique holiday meal packed with the rich flavors of a simple prime rib marinade. A simple mix of red wine, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, garlic, onion and herbs is all you need.
Prime Rib is a unique alternative to ham or turkey at Christmas time and will delight your guests. Classic holiday dishes like turkey and ham have been family traditions for as long as I can remember.
While I appreciate the familiarity and meaning behind it, it's also fun to experiment with different meats like prime rib. Who knows, maybe this will become a new family tradition.
This marinated prime rib is so easy and can even be made ahead of time. This makes holiday cooking a breeze: just roast the prime rib and serve.Talk about making hosting easy.
A prime rib roast has that classic holiday feel. It's comforting, rich, and not your everyday cut of meat. Also, depending on the size, roasting only takes about an hour.
This post covers everything you need to know. Let's start by finding the right kind of meat for prime rib.
What is prime rib?
Prime Rib is also known asRib roast, which comes from the original cut of the beef rib. The word "prime" refers to the fact that the meat has beenvalued by USDA. Otherwise, the cut of meat should be called a standing rib roast.
ribsit also comes from the same cut, but is usually cut into steaks rather than roasted. It is often prepared by grilling or roasting, but it can also be roasted.
where to buy prime rib
Prime rib is available at most specialty stores and health food stores, such as Whole Foods. It is usually available during the holiday season.
Pro tip:You may need to call the supermarket and order the prime rib in advance to ensure it is available and in stock.
A rib marinade only needs a few common ingredients.Here's what you need.
- Dry red wine
- Worcester sauce
- lemon juice
- Chopped onion
- rosemary and thyme
Want to know why these ingredients are included? That's why I included them in my marinade:
- The acids inRed wineElemon juicehelp break down and tenderize the meat.
- Worcester sauceit has an umami effect that enhances the flavor of the meat.
- Salit also enhances the flavor of the meat and injects flavor into the interior. It should always be used with meat (unless you are on a low sodium diet).
- onion and garlicare ingredients that go well with meat. The flavors soak up the liquid to marinate it.
- fresh herbslike rosemary, add festive flavors.
how to marinate ribs
Simply mix all the marinade ingredients and place in a ziplock bag with the ribs.Make sure the meat is covered with the marinade, cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 6 hours. Marinated in red wine, this prime rib is tender and full of flavor.
Add an extra boost of flavor
Make small cuts in the top of the meat and insert the garlic cloves into the openings.This adds extra flavor to the meat and tastes amazing!
Diced Organic Yukon Golden Potatoes are also boiled for roasting. I learned this trick from my mom, as she does it with her homemade roasted carnitas.The meat's juices absorb the potatoes as they roast, giving them a hint of flavor.
How long to marinate ribs
Marinate at least the rib6 hoursin the fridge or overnight for up to 24 hours.
It is important to give the marinade time to develop the flavors. It can even be made the night before if you want to prep or give the flavors more time to develop.
How long to cook prime rib
Bake the prime rib in the oven at 375 degrees F for about20 minutes per pound.For example, a 3 pound roast would take 60 minutes to cook.
Check the temperature after about 45 minutes, just in case.
Prime Rib internal temperature
Cook the ribs to an internal temperature of 130-135°F to medium rare. This creates the best flavor and texture.
At around 125° you can remove the roast from the oven. It will continue to cook while resting for 15-20 minutes.
Tips for the best taste
- Marinate the meat as long as possible:Ideally overnight or for at least 6 hours for best results.
- leave the meatroom temperaturefor at least 20-30 minutesbefore baking. If you cook cold meats straight from the fridge, they won't cook as evenly and could overcook outside.
- Place roast in hot oven (450 degrees) and immediately reduce to 375 degrees to speed up cooking time. This will ensure the prime rib is tender and not overcooked. It also helps to form a beautiful crust on the outside, similar to grilling or browning meat.
- After cooking, let the meat rest for 15 minutes.and do not cut before. This is an important step to ensure the meat retains its juices and stays juicy, tender and full of flavor.
- Use a meat thermometerto ensure the roast is cooked through. Must have an internal temperature of 130-135°F for Medium Rare.
Can you make it without wine?
Red wine adds wonderful flavor to the marinade and does not add alcohol after cooking. However, it can be replaced if you prefer not to use it for health or personal reasons. Simply sublimate with an alcohol-free cooking wine such as Holland House.
Side dishes to match the Prime Rib
The great thing about this recipe is that the potatoes cook right along with the prime rib, so there's very little prep, fuss, and cleanup involved here. If you're cooking for a larger batch or looking for more side dishes to add, the recipes below will work great.
- Homemade Cranberry Chutney
- Gluten Free Mac and Cheese
- creamy mashed potato
- Bacon and potato gratin
- Sriracha Coleslaw
More holiday recipes you might like:
- White Cheddar Cheese Ball
- Pork loin with herbs and mushroom sauce
- apricot cutlet
Leave a comment and star rating belowif you made this recipe or want to share your thoughts.
Follow meOnepinterest,Instagram,Facebook, ETwitter? Also,Subscribe to our newsletterto receive all our recipes and cooking tips.
Prime rib marinated in red wine with potatoes
Roast ribs marinated in red wine, Worcestershire sauce, onion, garlic and fresh herbs.
keywordmarinated ribs, roasted ribs, roasted ribs
setup time10 Protocol
cooking time1 Hour
Did you know?In all my recipes, the portions and amounts of ingredients can be adjusted. Click on the green number above to change it.
Ribs marinated in red wine
- ¾ taxes Dry red wine
- ½ taxes chopped onion
- 2 lemons,squeezed
- 1 soup spoon Worcester sauce
- ¼ teaspoon Sal
- 2 clove Garlic,hacked
- 2 clove Garlic,cut
- 3 Libra rib roast
- 3 Fresh rosemary branches
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4-5 Yukon Golden Potatoes
- 1 soup spoon light olive oil
- salt and pepper,Knows well
In a small bowl, combine the wine, onion, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and minced garlic. Put it aside.
Cut small slices in the beef rib and put the minced garlic inside. Place the meat in a large Ziploc bag, add the marinade, rosemary and thyme. Seal tightly and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or overnight, turning the bag occasionally.(Video) Pot Roast with Red Wine
Preheat oven to 450°F. Let meat rest at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes.
To serve with potatoes: Wash potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes. In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Put it aside.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment or aluminum foil. Discard the marinade and onions, place the meat in the center of the dish and place in the center of the oven. Immediately reduce heat to 375°.
Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Add the potatoes around the meat, if using. Roast for an additional 30 minutes or until the middle of the roast reads 130-135°F (medium-rare) on the thermometer.
Remove from oven and cover lightly with aluminum foil. Let rest for 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Marinate the meat as long as possibleideally overnight or for at least 6 hours for best results.
- Let the meat rest at room temperature for at least 20 to 30 minutes.before baking. If you cook cold meats straight from the fridge, they won't cook as evenly and could dry out on the outside.
- After cooking, let the meat rest for 20 minutes.and do not cut before. This is an important step to ensure the meat retains its juices and stays juicy, tender and full of flavor.
- Use a meat thermometerto ensure the roast is cooked through.
- Bake the roast for approx.20 minutes per pound, temperature check after about 45 minutes. The meat will continue to cook slightly when removed from the 5-10°F oven.
- Recipe time does not include marinating.
Prime rib marinated in red wine with potatoes
Amount Per Serving (6 ounces)
calories454Calories from fat 234
% Daily Value*
11g Saturated Fat69%
Vitamin A55 IE1%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Do you like this recipe?Visit@platingpixelon Pinterest to find out more. Pin it using the button below to save the recipe for later.
Don't forget to leave a comment below and rate this recipe if you like it →
More related recipes you might like
- Herb and Garlic Pork Tenderloin with Mushroom Wine Sauce
- Super Moist Lemon Bundt Cake Recipe
- Easy creamy mashed potato recipe
- 36 boneless and skinless chicken breast recipes